Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Week 8: Maria Izquierdo

Image result for maría izquierdo sueno y presentimientoImage result for maría izquierdo sueno y presentimientoImage result for maría izquierdo sueno y presentimiento
One of the presentations I really enjoyed last week was on Maria Izquierdo. Her painting Sueño y Presentimiento really stuck out to me. Its very vivid yet dark, when I first looked at it I got a feeling of vulnerability and pain which is what I feel Maria was truly feeling at the time of its making. I think her use of self portraits really bring the piece together because of the way her hair is intertwined with the trees branches. Its as if her and the earth are one and the acceptance of that is both enlightening, depicted by the rose and blue cross and its also a very trauma filled acceptance, depicted by the beaming red body that seems to almost be crying for mercy. I also think its interesting that her and Frida Kahlo'a work have similarities in their vivid self portraiture and they both were coming up as artist around the same time with also both of them having recognition and affiliation by Diego Rivera. It makes me question why her work isn't as known if it conveys a similar feeling of vulnerability and strength as do the painting of Kahlo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment