Friday, January 15, 2021

Extra Credit: Art of the State Symposium "Change = Action/Time: Generational Activism in Chicanx and Latinx Art"


    On Saturday January 9 I attended the Monterey Museum of Art’s third annual Art of the State Symposium "Change = Action/Time: Generational Activism in Chicanx and Latinx Art." I heard from many Chicanx and Latinx artists and institutions that support these artists. Half-way through the symposium Pocha Peña said a quote that stuck with me: “We are planting trees in whose shade we will never sit in.” Peña’s quote made me think about how many BIPOC create things, but don’t usually get to reap the fruits of their labor or do not receive the recognition they deserve. It was interesting to talk about this problem, while also talking about art practices. 

    Throughout the sessions many people kept sharing resources and art institutions in their area. It was awesome to have this space and be able to hear about these artists’ experiences as Chicanx artists and people. This symposium gave me a greater sense of what the term Chicanx encompasses and what Chicanx art can look like. For me I always think about East LA Mexican American youths when I hear the term Chicanx because that’s where I’m from and what I have always seen on TV. Some artists presenting during this symposium were from other places, but still identified as Chicanx.

    I also loved hearing from Dr. Judith F. Baca and her work with Mexican murals in Los Angeles. I have heard about her class, but it has never worked for my schedule so I loved having the opportunity to hear about her work outside of school. Baca spoke about these murals as being important and worthy of being discussed in higher education. I grew up around these murals and I felt a sense of pride to see them talked about so highly. Overall, the symposium was very validating and inspiring.


No comments:

Post a Comment