Sunday, January 17, 2021

Luis Figueroa


 Hello everyone, my name is Luis Esteban Figueroa Villegas. My pronouns are He/Him/His. I am a second-year transfer, majoring in Political Science: Race, Ethnicity and Politics and minoring in Chicanx studies. My research interests are in the political integration of Latinx immigrants in the United States. The American Education system as a form of American Assimilation for young immigrant children. 

I want to take this class because I believe that the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is true. Art can tell us many things about society's situation when the artist created it. Unfortunately, history does not always tell the whole truth. Consequently, certain art is left out of history on purpose to erase a part of history that does not follow the agenda of those writing it. I am looking forward to learning about different Art because Chicanx Art has suffered the purposeful deletion by institutions in the United States. Here in Los Angles, the Mural "America Tropical" was literally and metaphorically whitewashed because it did not go with the American image championed at that time. When I learned about "America Tropical, I was introduced to the notion of how art can be political and how it can be a form of change and a powerful tool of expression from the silenced voices

I am excited about the artists that created Chicanx Art in this class because it will allow me to view history and engage from a different perspective. "Why Have There Not Been Any Great Women Artist ?" by Linda Nochlin, offers a greater perspective that answers this question. Linda Nochlin suggests that institutions, life experiences and historical treatment of Womxn are some factors that have the answer to this question. I want to dive deeper into the topics that the author suggests to understand the hardships that Womxn artists have faced. I have more questions than answers, but I am looking forward to understanding the different forces that have situated Womxn in this position.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment