Monday, January 11, 2021

Sofia Alexander

 Sofia Alexander is the creator of Onyx Equinox, an anime series produced by Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll is a popular anime-streaming platform, so an anime based on mesoamerican culture is really the first of its kind.  Anime is originally from Japan, but it has come to be a global form of entertainment over the years. In recent years when Netflix and other producers began filming live adaptations of popular animes, one of the major critiques was the whitewashing of characters. This also led to the conversation of the variety of skin tones characters may have. Seeing an anime with mostly brown characters is eye-opening and can pave the way for diversity among the anime community. 





2 comments:

  1. I just saw the trailer for Onyx Equinox and the animation looks so cool! The poses are so dynamic and I love the use of color throughout the scenes. Plus, it's super cool that they're making an anime about Mesoamerican culture. I will definitely check it out! I absolutely LOVE anime (some of my favorites are HunterXHunter, Haikyu!!, Naruto and Attack on Titan), so I'm definitely looking forward to your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jackie! It was so awesome to see you present on this artist. I did not know about them before and I thought it was really cool to see Chicanx bodies in anime. This artist's work is so important because it creates representation. Thanks so much for teaching us about them!

    ReplyDelete