Monday, January 11, 2021

Ureno, Lizbeth (Liz)


 Hi! My name is Lizbeth Ureno, but I prefer to be called Liz. I'm a fourth year at UCLA majoring in Statistics. I chose this field of study because I enjoy working with data. In particular, I like gathering data, analyzing test results and creating graphs. I grew up in Los Angeles, California, but both of my parents were raised in Zacatecas, Mexico and moved to the US when they were adults. Since I'm part of the Chicano/a community, I believe it's important to learn the stories, struggles, and achievements of Chicano history. Doing so makes me feel more connected to my culture, especially because my parents never discussed in detail their experience as Latinos in a new country or even much of their personal life in Mexico. Additionally, I've taken two other Chicano courses in the previous years and I've found them incredibly fascinating. I also love telling my parents about the things I learned in my Chicano classes, so I'm very excited to learn new things from this class. 

    As for the reading, Ramos discussed a lot of important topics regarding Chicano art and its role in the revolution. While reading, I was constantly impressed by the impact of art in movements. When it comes to movements and revolutions, I usually think of strikes and walkouts, but never of art. In other words, I usually thought about art as an outlet for creativity, but never put much thought into art from a political standpoint.  With this being said, it's absolutely brilliant to use art in a political agenda to inspire people and cause change because in comparison to protests and other popular approaches used during movements, art speaks in a different language. In particular, it introduces color, conveys an array of  emotions and tells stories all at the same time, which can leave more of a lasting impression on people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment