Sunday, January 24, 2021

Week 4 - Printing the Revolution

It was important for me when Ester Hernandez talks about the women in her family being important figures in her life. I think that in Latino culture we often look past the women because of things like machismo culture, but Ester brings up a good point when she brings up both her parents contributing equally to her upbringing. This to me showed how although women may be below men in the patriarchal society, in Ester’s eyes she brings a good point to discussing both of her parents' influence. I found it inspirational that she grew up and was surrounded by the movimento of the United Farm Workers Association. It shows even more how much her work and culture have collided since she was a little girl. The fact that she also highlights how her artwork is meant to combat the stereotypes put onto Chicana women that they are poor and pitiful. It was important how she also discusses the history of the Chicana movement when she was young so we are able to get a better look at what has changed and what still needs to be done. It inspired me when she talked about the great discussions and conversations she would have as a young college student at UC Berkeley. It made me feel that conversations I have in my classes with my fellow Chicanas are extremely important to have. Throughout the movement as well she explains the impact on the gay and queer community. This movement was not only giving a voice to women, but also to women who did not identify as straight. It gave me chills when she was able to express her joy and happiness in seeing Chicana women pursue their happiness and be so much more open than what they could have been in the past. To know and understand a woman like Ester who put so much work into the movement so I could have more freedom and power today as a Chicana woman makes me feel very proud and thankful. 



1 comment:

  1. Hey, I chose this picture as well. I think this piece is very powerful and speaks volume. It was exciting to put a face the artist responsible for this art piece. I was very pleased to learn a bit about her life and her start in the art/activism world. She is the definition of what a strong woman is.

    ReplyDelete