Sunday, February 7, 2021

Paden, Lily/ Week 6 Blog Post: Domesticana

 From Tomas Ybarra-Frausto's "Chicano and Chicana Art," I have gathered that domesticana is "Chicana's rasquasche." The term domesticana is mainly defined in comparison to rasquachismo. Rasquachismo is said to be an attitude or taste, "an underdog perspective," (85). Domesticana features "techniques of subversion through play with traditional imagery and cultural material," (95). The two terms compare Chicano and Chicana art. Chicana art often demonstrates women challenging their traditional roles in domestic environments, like the kitchen or the bedroom. Domesticana can include a decorated female space, like a vanity dresser or a bedroom altar, reflecting "femininity and glamour," (95).


I am including a photo from the Oakland Museum of California that pictures a decorated Chicano vanity. This demonstrates how Chicana's have claimed their "domestic space," as discussed in the reading. The author describes the domestic sphere "with all its social roles and practices lived culturally, remains fixed in patriarchy unless representation of that world call into question such practices and thereby contribute to its change," (94).


Although I did gather a lot of information around the words rasquachismo and domesticana, I found the reading a little unclear. I read thoroughly and took lots of notes, but I don't think I have the most clear interpretation of the terms rasquachismo and domesticana, and what they mean to the Chicano culture. I hope we discuss these terms and topics in class so that I develop a better understanding. 


No comments:

Post a Comment