Saturday, February 6, 2021

Post5 Virgin de Guadalupe

 


2014 Feast Day of the Virgin de Guadalupe

  Growing up in East LA I've seen the image of the   Virgin de Guadalupe countless time. She is   everywhere, painted on corner stores, alters to her   outside homes and magnets on refrigerators to name a   few places.  When I was  eight years old my Nana   would tell me the story of  the Virgin appearing to   Juan Diego. This was my bed time story and my   favorite. I would ask for this story every night. I don't   remember what drew me to this retelling of the   apparition of the virgin. As an adult I like the idea of a   miracle and that something could take you out of   everyday life. I also remember my uncles talking about   how the OG's would never deface the Virgin's image. To this day whenever I drive around the neighborhood I look to see if anyone has written or marked the Virgin's face. I never have. I find it interesting that people hold the mother figure so holy but how do the same people treat the women in their lives? How do they treat women in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment