Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Week 5: Guadalupe Post

Growing up I did not come in contact with anyone that was extremely religious. My mom was raised Catholic but admits that she does not wholly agree with everything that is told in the Catholic church which is why she felt hesitant about baptizing us and making us go to church. However, she has always made a point to teach me things within the Catholic faith that she believes are significant. The most significant was and still is La Virgen.

La Virgen holds so much significance to me personally, because I can see how La Virgen shaped the women my mom is. She is a devoted mother and wife and does things I could not imagine ever doing, without complaining at least. 

Growing up I did not know what to think of the fact that my mom did not have a family and the fact that she eventually revealed to us some of the trauma she experienced in her childhood. My mom was the product of an affair my grandma had had with a married man. When my grandma married, both my mom, and her mother faced a lot of abuse because of this. Also, both her brothers had died who she had taken care of like a mother. Reflecting on this I can see how my mom modeled after La Virgen in order to come into both womanhood and motherhood.

When I was younger, just a couple years back... I always mocked my mom for always worrying when me or one of my siblings simply left the house. However, now I can see how she really has no control over this. Since I'm inevitable having to leave the house and cause her worry, I'm glad that she can light her Virgin de Guadalupe candle and find some peace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment