Monday, February 1, 2021

Week 5 Rasquachismo: Experience W/ Virgen De Guadalupe Image

 



    I was born and raised in East Los Angeles where there are a lot of murals that depict La Virgen De Guadalupe. My family and I do not identify as Catholics, but we are still familiar with this image because it is very common to see it everywhere, even in non-religious settings, such as grocery stores or other business establishments on my block. I have always been interested in this image because I think it’s beautiful and it reminds me of many Renaissance paintings because of the religious imagery and the sun rays.  

    I love passing by the murals in my neighborhood that depict La Virgen de Guadalupe and I think it’s funny that people never graffiti over this image even though the rest of the wall would be graffitied. I have also been interested in this image in an artistic sense. I enjoy this image for its aesthetics, but I don’t partake in its religious significance. I know that this image is very important to a lot of people in my community so I respect it as well. I definitely think this image is empowering and I love seeing the different takes artists have explored.

A lot of people have become upset when I do not share their religious appreciation for the image. Even though I do not practice Catholicism I still love this image and I see its significance to Mexican culture. When I have depicted this image in drawings for my studio classes, sometimes fellow students will ask me about the religious aspects of the image, but I think it’s completely valid to use the image outside of religious contexts because it has evolved to become so much more. Some students have gone as far as to whitesplain why I cannot use the image in my drawings, but I think anyone can use the image the way they see fit.

1 comment:

  1. NOT people trying to whitesplain your arte. Anyways, I agree with you that Guadalupe image does not need to be tied to religion. If anything, the original Guadalupe was not tied to Catholicism at all. I also don't see her in a religious way, I see her more as an icon, or an idea of motherhood and protection, and not in a traditional way either. When I say protection I mean women being able to take care of themselves.

    ReplyDelete