Monday, February 8, 2021

Week 6: Rasquachismo

Kitsch does not appeal to the tastes of “high art” because it may involve excessive garnishes that some find tacky or subject matter that is overly sentimental. It is sometimes appreciated ironically, when it is not in a knowing way. Cuban and Chicano/a artists were critiqued for kitsch art in the late 1980s and early 1990s. A word used to describe what some may consider kitsch art, is rasquache. The word in Mexico and Latina America has a classist tone to it since it is used to describe anything lower class, similar to the word “ghetto”. Rasquachismo goes deep for Chicanx individuals because it reflects the resourcefulness and inventiveness of working class communities. Therefore, artists taking part in Rasquachismo are using economic and efficient means to create. However, what we see is that they are making the most from the least. 

The fact that rasquachismo is not an aesthetic that is universally enjoyed makes it defiant, which I think is sometimes the intention, rather than a means of survival. I think I practice rasquachismo in my life through clothes. As the youngest I always got second-hand clothes from my older sisters. However, I would eagerly take their clothes because I enjoyed the creative process of changing these items up to suit me. Even today I find that I am the most proud when I am resourceful by making something out of used fabric around my home versus fabric I got to pick from the store. Below is shirt I made from an old pillowcase and I actually sewed zip ties I found in my dad's garage, inside the fabric, to get the corset look. The second image are some pants I made as well. I came up with the idea to make them look like chaps in the front because I did not want to go to the store and spend money on a zipper and button for closure.

.






No comments:

Post a Comment