Monday, February 8, 2021

Week 6: What is Rasquashismo?

 



    After reading "Domesticana: The sensibility of Chicana Rasquachismo", I have come to a further understanding of Rasquachismo. I learned of Rasquachismo before in another Chicano studies class. I have seen it in comedies such as Culture Clash, and in real life situations as well. The definition of Rasquachismo is being able to make due with the limited resources you have to produce something useful. In other words, it is a way of surviving.

    A personal example I have for Rasquachismo is this story my grandma told me about my great grandfather. Her family was a hard working, lower class chicana family. Years ago, he took his hands, bricks and concrete to build a house for his family. His children used sticks and stones to make different kinds of toys. They made dolls, action figures, and wands. I thought about how in that time with limited access to supplies, families tried to do the best with what they could and used their survival instincts. In addition, it builds a sense of resilience and empowerment when you see what you were able to create. With Rasquachismo, you have that underdog perspective. 









No comments:

Post a Comment