Saturday, February 13, 2021

Week 7: Graffiti is Art (Paden, Lily)


 Graffiti is Art by Charles "Chaz" Bojorquez enlightened me to the general topic of graffiti, diving into the history of graffiti on the West Coast. I just learned from this reading that graffiti has been in the western region of the United States for over fifty years, as it really began in 1969. 

As someone who has lived in the big city of Los Angeles for 15 years of my life, I consider myself very familiar with graffiti. On endless streets, tunnels, freeway underpasses, and even sidewalks all over the city, there is beautiful graffiti artwork to admire, endless artists leaving their mark on the city. One of the most meaningful works of graffiti that presently displays in the city of Los Angeles is the portraits of Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gigi, which was done after their tragic death. I know this graffiti means a lot to many other Los Angeles residents. 

This reading taught me many new things surrounding the topic of graffiti, how it seeks respect, what it means to artists, but I was very familiar with the polarized sides of graffiti. I have come to know many people who are pro-graffiti and are extremely supportive of this art form, and I have also known many who are anti-graffiti, and think it carries an extremely negative connotation. Bojorquez writes, "Graffiti is too often related to such acts of vandalism, destructive behavior, and meaningless scribbles," (117). While my family has always admired the artwork of graffiti artists, I know of many parents from my hometown who do not agree. I come from a smaller town in the suburbs of Los Angeles, about an hour from downtown, and people really carry a stigma with them that seems to prohibit them from admiring or appreciating graffiti art. I believe this article would be a great read for those who hold this thinking, or those who are anti-graffiti, as the background and history of graffiti can change people's thinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment