Monday, February 15, 2021

Week 7: Graffiti

“Graffiti is Art” by Charles “Chaz” Bojorquez from Chicano and Chicana Art: A Critical Anthropology goes in-depth about graffiti and the history behind the word but also expresses how this visual expression is a form of art. Graffiti is stated to be a language to express our own voices and vision but also personally engage the energy of our vision and can discover the soul of art. These are some of the words that Charles states in order to define the idea of graffiti which I find to be very accurate and interesting. The reason why I find this definition so interesting is that, and also stated in the reading, graffiti has always had a bad connotation. What I mean by this is that it has always been associated with vandalism, destructive behavior, and a “symbol of the loss of moral control in our society” (117).  Those who continue to associate this kind of art to be these foul terms, have declared that this form of expression is not art and “worthless”. Fortunately, there has been a growth of pro-graffiti where they respect and support the art form. While there are supporters, there will always be those who oppose the idea of this art form. This group of individuals thinks the worst of those who commit to this art form. For example, the writer states that this group imagined these artists to be worthy of “being sent to prison, whipping, or being shot to death by anti-graffiti vigilantes (117). When I was reading this part of the text, I was in utter shock that these kinds of phrases would be said by certain individuals. I have always observed graffiti to be an artistic value and I am grateful that the city I live in, Los Angeles, has a great variety of people’s personal expression using spray cans. I think without this art expression, the public would be naked and less valuable since I believe this brings character to a location.

Venice Graffiti Art


3 comments:

  1. Hi Ariana. I read a different section which spoke about the criminalization of graffiti. Between these two chapters, it’s easy to see the connection that graffiti is a form of public art. Just because it is not commissioned by the city, it is seen as “vandalism” as you describe it. In reality, graffiti is just an artistic expression for those who do not have a voice to reclaim public space as their own. It’s a form of cultural and vocal public resistance. “Graffiti as Art” speaks of graffiti as a voice. Each artist should feel as if they can express themselves even if they don’t have the platform to do so. In this case, a graffiti artist’s canvas is the public. I wish others were more perceptive on how art isn’t just rigidly defined as painting on a canvas. It is so much more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ariana, I agree with you I feel like graffiti does add character to Los Angeles. I also feel like graffiti has been more accepted, because it has become popular to post on social media. It's just sad that it took so long for some people to see the value in graffiti or to even see it as art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how most of us chose to write about the graffiti for this week. I think it is much more common and familiar to us because we see it everywhere in our cities. It was so interesting to learn about the history of graffiti and its impacts. I always knew there was some importance to graffiti but didnt know how well it connected to the art world as a whole.

    ReplyDelete