Thursday, February 18, 2021

Week 7 Post: Graffiti is Art

 As I read Charles Bojoroquez's piece Graffiti is Art, I was reminded of my childhood. Growing up, my brother was somewhat in gangs, and he would constantly be in trouble with the sheriffs of our town because they would either always catch him tagging or recognize his writing style. I remember seeing the police report once, and it was filled with pictures of his graffiti. After that, my mom would always scare my little sister and me. For years she would say things like, "If you tag, you'll end up in jail like your brother," or "Don't write on anything but paper!" If someone grew up like that, I would understand why, as Bojoroquez said, "anti-graffiti forces demonize youth as the worst of society's evils, and worthy of being sent to prison..." (119).  

I like that Bojoroquez makes it a point to make a distinction between "cholo and hip-hop" (120) graffiti styles. For many, their exposure to graffiti is the hip-hop style and mistaking the "Old English" tagging for hip-hop style when it is so deeply rooted in cholo placas. I think I could distinct cholo from hip-hop style because of the stack of photos from my own brother's graffiti. The first figure embodies hip-hop graffiti and the second figure is cholo graffiti. 



To me, graffiti is an outlet for artists to express themselves freely on an earthly surface. Art on a canvas or piece of paper has a certain feel to it, but graffiti that is placed on walls or the ground is rooted in indigenous art being carved or painted into rocks and walls. I wish graffiti was not tied to vandalism, but I understand that certain buildings or homes for example would not want to have graffiti on them. I wish there was a way society could provide a space for graffiti artists to display their art. I think if my brother had something like that growing up, he would be a different person today. He would be called an artist and not a delinquent. 


5 comments:

  1. Jaqueline I agree that more youth should have access to public walls and opportunities. Creating murals and drawing on walls in something humans have always done. Our community is carrying on the tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you gave an picture example of the difference between hip-hop and cholo art. The style is different from one another. Also, I think you are lucky growing up with a family member that was into the style. iT also reminds me of when I was younger and was into the trend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jaqueline, great post! I also agree that graffiti is a form of art that people can use to express themselves. It’s sad to see that graffiti is more than often seen in a negative light and I wish people could recognize and realize that it helps many young adults gain confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jaqueline, I also agree that graffiti can be used as a way to express ones self, I think in a way I enjoy that Graffiti is done freely .And I also think a particular space for Graffiti art would be great so people wont have to worry about vandalism but feel it might have certain limitations and then would become not as accessible. I think in the future thats something that would be created and would probably change graffiti artwork entirely. Hopefully a good change. Although I do enjoy Graffiti art how it is now.

    ReplyDelete