Tuesday, December 14, 2021

November 29, 2021: Reflection - Avril Rincon


Upon reflection of this past quarter, I realize a tremendous amount of material that I have learned. Being able to bring awareness about these amazing Chicano artists, via Wikipedia, was an experience I was proud of being a part of. Reflecting back to my own artist, Celeste De Luna, her artwork displayed lots of immigrant sentiments that I never realized I was so passionate about until I saw her work. I related to a lot of her family displacement and identity crisis works due to the immigration system. My parents being from Mexico and me my siblings growing up in the US, I have always felt this missing part of my identity since I have never been able to go to Mexico, due to my parents not being able to travel abroad. Because of this, it felt as if I never really was able to connect to my Mexican roots, as I have never met my grandparents, cousins, or really any of my family members besides my immediate family. Through Celeste’s work, I learned the importance of expressing these feelings through art. It was nice knowing that I am not the only one going through this and that we have the Chicano community as support. I think this is why one of my favorite pieces of her is the “My Body is A Border” print. Not only does it celebrate Chicano feminism, but it also brings up important themes such as borderlands, immigration, and the strength of family. Overall, I am very happy I took this class and learned about a growing sector within our Chicano community - art! It’s nice to know that little by little, people that look like me are being better represented in such fields. Being able to be a part of this movement by helping publish an article is an honor that I am humbled to be a part of.


No comments:

Post a Comment