Saturday, December 4, 2021

Week 10 Reflection

Having taken and thoroughly enjoyed Professor Lopez's Spring 2021 'Censored!Art on Trial', I knew that this class would provide equal interest and learning opportunity.  As an artist myself, the general subject was of interest.  I've always enjoyed different mediums and styles but have no been exposed to much diversity.  In school, we primarily studied the works of white males as they were irrationally and wrongly  held as the standard of excellence.  By providing so many opportunities to learn about chicana art and artists my conceptions and perceptions of art and culture and people have been changed and expanded so broadly.  

The readings about Carmen Lomas Garza and Yolanda Lopez felt like cultural ethnographies, taking me deep into the understanding of a world so foreign to mine. Garza's themes of family, community and culture and concepts of shared experience and memories  helped me to understand the importance of historical culture and the power and strength that community brings. Through Yolanda Lopez I learned about the old, new, and continuing struggles that face chicana artists and the Latino community at large and how art can be used to create dialogue, stir emotions, and affect change, 

The presentations were amazing,  It is an incredible gift to have been exposed to so many talented and diverse artists in such a short period of time.  The live presentations were informatively engaging and have given me to opportunity to follow so. many new artists that I have never known about!

The wikipedia was challenging for me (the technical part) but I think I figured it out...lol and am proud of myself for pushing through and learning something new and while doing so promoting and providing exposure for a deserving artist. 




No comments:

Post a Comment