Saturday, November 22, 2014

7: Letter to Delilah Montoya

Dear Delilah,

     I hope all is well. My classmate, Zora, recently presented your work to our class. I was not only awestruck by the subjects that filled your photographs and collages, but also I was moved by the narrative within each piece. As a new photographer, I have been finding it difficult to take great photos. I have always loved photography even in the context of family albums, but knowing now the nuances of film photography, I admire those who can capture life's serendipity even in its tragedy as you do with such skill.  
     I enjoy learning about different artists' creative processes and which artists they look up to. I would like to know: Which photographers, alive or not, do you most admire? In terms of your work, I can't help to liken some of your photographs to paintings by George Bellows and Thomas Eakins (two very masculine painters). Do you find their aesthetic has influenced your work? 
     I was moved by La Guadalupana. The Virgen will always be venerated despite her location, even on a criminal, even on someone who is a societal outlier. To me, this talks about society’s outlook on crime: when passing judgment we hold high standards, but we forget that behind the paradigm of what should be goodness and acting accordingly, there is a human that makes mistakes. This might not be what your intention of the piece is, but this this is how it speaks to me and that is why I admire your art.
 


Sincerely,
Edwin Arzeta

No comments:

Post a Comment