Friday, November 28, 2014

Carmen Lomas Garza

Carmen Lomas Garza's painting Quinceañera portrays the traditional Mexican event of turning fifteen. She is able to show how it is possible to have a traditional event in a busy city. You can see the culture very strongly through this image. I love how she incorporate the low rider into the image because low riders are usually associated by the media as being gang affiliated and not family orientated at all , but Garza is able to show low riders as a part of a culture in a peaceful aspect because she shows the low rider as a part of family since the actual Quinceanera is getting dropped off by the vehicle. I also love her incorporation of the children because it reminds me of when I was a child at my family parties when my cousins and I would run around being mischievous. The way she has the individuals outside of the church all involved in different conversations or interactions reminds me of how we can all be in one place attending the same thing, but yet we are able to make such different connections. This image makes me miss being a child and attending those big family events.

No comments:

Post a Comment