Thursday, November 13, 2014

Classmate Reflection: Saul Quintero on Margarita Cabrera

I chose to comment on Saul Quintero's post because I agree with him that Margarita Cabrera's art is very powerful. The messages conveyed through her art can be overlooked because of the simplicity but when you start thinking about the materials she uses and the colors a strong message is conveyed.

 
I wasn't aware of Cabrera's art prior to the presentation so I was really glad to be introduced to her work. Although I was reading into the messages relayed by the materials she used for certain pieces I didn't think of it the way Saul did. He mentioned her soft sculptures resembling children's toys and as soon as I read his interpretation I agreed with the comparison. 

I believe that it is really important to challenge gendered expectations that are placed on men and women in our society. More importantly the messages put upon young girls increasingly send messages of reproductive work as the main purpose of a woman's life. In toy stores, increasingly "toys" for young girls are kitchen and cleaning items masked by bright colors. Cabrera's art allows for young girls to challenge these gendered norms and expectations. She gives all of us tools to question inequalities and inhumane treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment