Friday, November 14, 2014

Week 6: Classmate Response on Lucero Duran


The post that interested me the most was the Post titles The Human Boy: Isis Rodriguez and Laura Aguilar by Lucero Duran.  I liked the that Lucero brought the idea that men can walk outside without a shirt and it is culturally acceptable while if a woman walks outside without a shirt she is considered promiscuous. It is a double standard where I feel there shouldn’t be.  I do not think that many women would want to walk around shirtless but I feel that if they wanted to they should not be able to without being scolded for being shirtless. It is nearly impossible to change societies views on women just because society has viewed women this way for many years.  But I do agree with Lucero’s views that there is a double standard in society and that Isis Rodriguez counters the double standard by showing women empowerment in her work. Rodriguez uses irony in her work in order to allow her audience to see the ridiculous stereotype that circulates in our society.

            I also enjoyed her explanation on Laura Aguilar and the way she uses her body to represent beauty. Like Lucero stated she is not the typical body weight that society considers beautiful but she uses her body to represent beauty.  The beauty she shows is not in a provocative or sensual way, the way she poses is in a way innocent and shows comfort. The reason why I like Aguilar’s work is because of her bravery. To be able to embrace her bare body and to expose her body in front of her audience is admirable. I agree with Lucero when she states that she is showing her freedom and she is showing the beauty of being a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment