Saturday, November 15, 2014

Commenting on Dia De Los Muertos SPARC event Extra Credit by Ashley Uvina, November 10th

While reading through my classmates posts, I decided to comment on Ashley Uvina’s post of when she attended the day of the dead event at SPARC. Ashley explained how she was able to make an altar to commemorate her loved ones. I think it was something awesome she was able to make. It was also interesting how she was able to participate in the event and in the calling of the four regions in the ancient Nahua language as she mentioned. Something that captivated me the most was how Ashley mentioned that while her participation in the calling, she and those who participated were not able to paint their faces, because that is not part of the ritual. That is something new I have now learned thanks to Ashley. Since, I am not very knowledgeable in the day of the dead ritual, I had no idea that the painting of the face was not permitted. Though I did attend the Olvera Street event, I did notice that mostly everyone that participated had their face painted, but I believe that was because they actually did not do the ritual calling of the four regions like Ashley did for the SPARC event. Overall, it was nice to read of Ashley’s experience through the SPARC event.

No comments:

Post a Comment