Saturday, November 15, 2014

Yadira Sesmas Respose

Hi Yadira,

I too was intrigued by Laura Aguilar's photography. I think it's great that you mentioned that Laura breaks away from photographing the stereotypical skinny bodies we see in the fashion industry. I think a lot of people need to see these photographs and appreciate their bodies. Another way that I saw these photographs was that she was trying to portray that these bodies are completely natural. The pictures we see in magazines or billboards are heavily photo-shopped. None of those women actually look that way in real life. But the women in these photographs are portrayed how they are without any Photoshop, and in nature. I also think it's great that the women were large, but I mean it on the sense that this is never represented. I know that when I look at pictures of "plus-sized" models, these women still have flat stomachs or aren't big at all. Being average is not "plus-sized". All of these negative messages affect all of us even subconsciously and they're something that we have to deconstruct. I definitely think that all of the intersectionality in Laura's art helps her in her art. Being a queer woman of color in this country is hard enough, but also having body images issues makes it even worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment