Monday, November 24, 2014

Dear Carmen Lomas Garza,

I absolutely love your art work. Your paintings have encompassed the background of my childhood even before I was aware of you as a person. As I've gotten older I go back to your paintings with an ever changing mindset and framework for interpreting your work. I find that your paintings are often colorful compositions that are fraught with the complexities of oppression, class, race, and gender norms. I feel excited yet depressed every time I look upon your work. This is the greatest compliment I can give an artist, and I really don't know what question(s) to pose to you. I truly would love to just hear you speak about your inspiration for each piece and why you choose to paint every specific element in your pieces. I want to know why your color palette is so bright and varied? I want to know what possess you to paint? I would love to know about your unfinished pieces and how you know when a piece is completed?

These are the queries that come to mind when I look at your work. It inspires such a heavy wonderment that sometimes I am unsure as to what exactly I am questioning in your art. I hope you can expand my perspective and appreciation of work.

With much appreciation and love,

Vladimir De Jesus Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment