Sunday, November 23, 2014

Week 7: Annie Lopez Letter

Mrs. Lopez,
     Your most recent work is what initially caught my eye, but the rest of your (previous) work is spectacular nevertheless. What inspired you to make such a significant change from photography into creating pieces that require this cyanotype process? It is so tedious and I didn't read up on anything that involved you working with your hands, that's why. Also, since you do not refer to any of your work as "traditional" Chicana artwork, then what would you categorize it as?
      Focusing on this new exhibition that you will be hosting in Phoenix soon, I would like to point out that I really thought they were actual dresses. What "fabric" was used exactly? Was it some type of unique material you that used? It reminds me of Margarita Cabrera’s “H2 Hummer” piece; with how you both pieced together everything to form them both. I just enjoyed how you made this series a story about your personal life. Of course, I enjoy all art, but for you to allow your audience to get a slight glimpse into what inspired you is powerful. I feel that is what really makes it powerful. We are able to connect with you more and something as simple as a photograph of a family member is a piece of who lies in your spirit and soul. The mix of photos and fabric create this storyline of both your femininity and history. With all this, I thought that maybe you can call it something along the lines of “armor,” why you ask? Maybe it’s the unity of each patchwork, each member, that has molded your strong spirit into continuing on with your career.

     I deeply respect your passionate outlook on your art and your perseverance in helping the youth in learning art. Thank you so much for your valuable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment