Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Dia De Los Muertos SPARC event Extra Credit Uvina Fall

I had the pleasure to actually participate in the event and the calling of the four region in the ancient Nahua language. Every year I celebrate Dia De Los Muertos by attending the festivities in Santa Ana, so attending and making an altar at the SPARC event was really interesting.  It was really nice to make an altar to commemorate my loved ones that have passed on.  During the event at SPARC we got to perform the ancient ritual to call the four corners and regions, during the ritual we spoke in Nahua and an interesting thing was that we were not able to paint our face for it is not a part of the ritual. Then after the ritual there were all the altars to see and there was pan de muerto and mexican hot chocolate. I loved seeing the very traditional side of Dia De Los Muertos made me happy to connect to my Chicano roots.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is a great picture.
    I always find it so fascinating when I see beautiful altars and other Xicanas being active in keeping our culture alive. As someone that never really celebrated Dia de los Muertos I always find it so cool to be able to learn and experience things that were never instilled in my culture while growing up.Even If i am a Xicana, my experiences are always here and relatable to other Xicanos but I noticed I have never been close to many traditions and holidays of my cultura. Mostly because my family is really small and celebrating this was never really a thing in my house.

    ReplyDelete