Monday, November 10, 2014

Self Help Graphics Dia De Los Muertos

All along 1st street Dia De Los Muertos events vividly brought to life Boyle Heights. People with their faces painted as both kalacas and sugar skulls walked around and purchased from vendors. I walked around then went to Self Help Graphics event. I have gone to Self Help Graphics for Dia de Los Muertos the past three years with my family. Although, I prefer going to the center itself, this 41st annual Dia de Los Muertos event held at Mendez High School was creative and amazing. The school itself is decorated with beautiful and culturally relevant murals on the handball courts and was a big and open space for an event of this nature to be held at. I enjoy going to these events with my little sister because she is often excluded from conversations about culture and tradition due to the public school system and lack of events that occur in my community west of the L.A River.  


I also went to Grand Park's exhibition of 50 community based personal altares. They were all dedicated to specific causes. Many were dedicated to the children whom immigrated from Central America and others were dedicated to historical figures such as Sal Castro.  

No comments:

Post a Comment