Saturday, November 29, 2014

La Llorona by Carmen Lomas Garza



This image resonated with my memories of my abuelit@s telling me stories in their patio. Those stories and myths were more than just what I heard. It was sacred space in which we exchanged generational gaps and communicated through silence and teachings only WE knew were happening. Those are moments in which I could never replicate with any other parental figure in my family because in Latin@ families the dynamics and psychology of the way we interact with our grandparents is special. I also observed the way they all formed some sort of geometrical figure by using their bodies in the way they listened to the womyn telling the story. To my analysis of this as a piece of art I was able to relate it to the way in which Renaissance art used the triangle as one of their key characteristics seen in art from this era. This is significant because it tells the audience how important family values within domesticated spaces are to Latin@s.

Furthermore, as I closely saw the figure of "La Llorona" on the far upper right corner I realized how intimate these cuentos are when being shared with us. Lomas-Garza is definitely alluding to the way in which our elders use detailed and exquisite  language when speaking to us. I know this is something prominent in the way my abuelit@s told me stories because I was always able to imagine them in the back of my head. This was a way for me to build an alternate world within their tongues as they spoke to me and build something beyond the physical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment