Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Laura Aguilar

The presentation on the Latina artist Laura Aguilar really sparked my interest. Laura's photographs encompassing her own naked  body is truly a difference in her work among other artists we have learned about thus far. I loved how her photos incorporate landscape scenes that in many ways connect the naked body to land. I liked this photograph where she is acting as a rock in the landscape. Her body's curves and lines mimics the other rocks in the photo. To me, encompassing her body into the landscape reinforces that people of Latin descent will always have a historical connection to land.

I also love Laura's emphasis of body peace. She uses her own body in her work as a way of not only embracing her self and her own body but to help viewers of her works to embrace and love their bodies as well. We live in a very body conscious society and for me to see Laura's work emphasizing body peace is very revolutionary in itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment