Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Presentations from last week

Last week all the presentations were exciting and thought provoking, but the two that stuck with me centered on Laura Aguilar and Carlee Fernandez. I was struck by the beauty of Aguilar's photographs, and by the poetry she spoke about them. Her discussion of the happiness she experiences from the images was transcendent; it was a gift to hear her speak so candidly about her own images and body. Some of my questions about her visual metaphors were later addressed, and I was excited to see some of her methods and techniques that are (in some ways) based in ancient traditions around land, mythology and the female earth: mother earth.

             As for Fernandez, I was stirred by her ideas around Chicanidad and self-hood. I speculate that her own biography has informed her artistic practice (as is the case with all artists), and wonder who introduced this idea of post-Chicana/o to her. I think there are lots of factors that we must consider with this concept and term. First, I aim to question the linguistic application of the prefix “post”. The application of such prefixes is not new or rare in (Western, Anglophone) art history, and so I submit that this term must be analyzed from a more heterogeneous lens. Secondly, I wonder about the conceptualization of such a term and its goal. What or who does this term serve? What is at stake when we conceptualize Chicana/o art as a movement that is now over? And if it is, in fact, over and Fernandez wants to create space between herself and said movement, then why would she use such a reflexive index? The very inclusion of the word “Chicana/o” situates her within a Chicana/o trajectory. While I understand and appreciate the position she may hold about not being tokenized or taken for granted. Nevertheless, I think that she needs to consider her positionality and politics as an artist and public figure.

1 comment:

  1. Kaelyn, these are all really good questions demanding a serious rethinking about the "post" in "post-Chicana/o" debates. Prof. Lopez

    ReplyDelete