Thursday, November 27, 2014

Laura Aguilar

Laura Aguilar is an artist that stood out because she was the most distinct artist in terms of medium that we looked at. Aguilar is a photographer and often models herself do depict beauty not as society sees it, but how she sees it. Rather than publishing a thin body, which has become the standard, she uses larger women, a trait that characterizes her as well. I admire this artist because it is my understanding that she had issues to the point she contemplated and even attempted suicide and yet she managed to not only recover from that but to work in a way that inspires others like her. Media being what it is, it is common for lager women to feel insecure and Aguilar's work shows that there is no universal definition of beauty. In finding a refugee for herself, she provides a support system for other people as well.
I also like her involvement with nature in some of her pictures because I think nature is a beauty that we as humans often under appreciate or take for granted. We harm our natural world sometimes without even realizing it and this is a problem, to say the least. While I'm not certain this was something that she had in mind, it is something that passed through my mind when I saw her pictures.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your though about Aguilar and her photography. Initially I was unsure as to what to think about her art, i think it was more of a blank because I had never seen anything quite like her. After I read heard her story I was able to relate with her. As a woman it took me so long to get comfortable with my own body and shape, to this day I am not fully comfortable with it and sometimes I dont know what to do. But Aguilar inspired me to always be comfortable with my self. The degree to which she has become comfortable with her body really surprised me because it takes so long to do such a thing. She is incredibly inspiring and I am sure her art has inspired many others.

    ReplyDelete