Thursday, November 27, 2014

Letter to Margarita Cuaron

Dear Margarita Cuaron

My name is Erick Gutierrez and I am a UCLA student currently pursuing a degree in Chicana/o Studies with a minor in education. I am a senior and while these were not my goals when I was a freshman, my time in this school has given me a different perspective and thus, I experienced a shift in my interests. While studying Chicana/o Art, I was exposed to your work and also learned that you are a Garfield Alumni- I found that interesting because I was a bulldog too! Then, when I saw a picture of you, I recognized you because I actually met you as a  freshman in Garfield along with Bobby Verdugo and Sal Castro. It struck me that I shook your hand in a time and age where I couldn't fully comprehend what you did and represent for us as Chicanas/os. Now, having a little more knowledge, I wish I could go back in time and ask you a few questions because at the time, all I thought was that it was pretty cool that I walked through the same halls that some of our activists and organizers did.
Now, I would like to know what did it feel like? What was it like being a student during a time where discrimination was far more blatant than it is today? How much did you struggle? At what point did you decide that you wanted to fight for something better? And once you decided, how did that feel? What were some fears or concerns? How difficult was it to even begin asking for support? Once grievances were addressed, how satisfying was it? What were the plans then? How difficult was the fight that continues today, but made significant progress then? Looking back, and looking at the present, how could we as students and as people of color fight the injustices of today? Injustices that include, but are not limited to financial barriers, documentation and everything that this entails, and just the state of being brown. All of this not only in everyday life, but particularly in the educational field. This is one of if not the most empowering element one could obtain and I believe that because of that, the system continues to make it more difficult for 'minorities' to obtain it. These are questions I would like to ask you if I should ever meet you again. Until then, I would like to have these discussions with my peers in hopes for a better tomorrow.

Best
Erick Gutierrez  

No comments:

Post a Comment