Saturday, November 22, 2014

Letter to Barbara Carrasco

Dear Barbara,
       I recently came across a couple of your art pieces in my Chicano studies class, and I am writing to tell you how amazing you are. Your pieces really stood out to me for the choice of colors you use in them. I love color and how you implement them is fantastic. In your piece of Delores Huerta I loved the meaning behind your color choices of rose, yellow, and mint. Huerta is just as important as Chavez and your piece demonstrates how powerful she is and also how feminine. I also got to see your piece where you paint your face brown with words that you were called growing up. This piece strikes home for me because I am a lighter Latina and growing up I was always called things like “white girl” or “gringa”. So your piece just really resonated with me. I feel too Latina for white America but at the same time I am too light to fit in with Latinos.  I have a question for you because I find your life so fascinating. I would like to know how it was getting to work with such historical people like Huerta and Chavez? I could not imagine how amazing it must have been to be there first hand. Thanks so much for taking your time to read this I truly appreciate it.
 Sincerely,

Ashley Uvina


No comments:

Post a Comment