Saturday, November 22, 2014

Letter to Diane Gamboa

Diane,
     This week I had the pleasure of presenting on your work. I mainly focused on your prints, and people seemed genuinely excited when I spoke of the Little Gold Man and the Altered State prints (I imagine that has not always been the case). Your mastery of print-making is undeniably on point! You have probably spoken on the meanings of your prints ad nauseam, so Instead, I would this to take this opportunity to ask if you currently feel a pressure to be politically correct when dealing with certain subjects of your work?
    Specifically concerning the Altered State print series: did people react negatively towards the quasi-religious scene with a nude woman as a central figure? From those individuals who were  offended, were they primarily men or women? To me, the females in your prints are strong, domineering almost. I like that, but I can see how it may also be threating and intimidating to some viewers. 
    Could you speak on your experience with censorship, specifically gendered politics, within main stream institutions, such as museum spaces? How about censorship within the realm of other educational institutions that have also exhibited your work? As your work continues to be widely exhibited, who has shocked you the most in terms of their narrow-mindedness? I am also wondering if the general public's reception/understanding of your work informs your future artwork?

P.S.
What is the place that you still have not had the opportunity to be exhibited that you would like to be?

P.P.S.
What is your favorite color to create on prints? 


Best,
Saúl 

No comments:

Post a Comment