Friday, November 21, 2014

Letter to Mitsy Avila Ovalles

Dear Mitsy Avila Ovalles:

The reason for this letter is because I am a current third year student at UCLA, and at the time, I am taking a Chicana art course, in where each student has selected a Chicana artist of their choice to present to the class. While making my selection, I came across your artwork, which captivated my eyes do to your unique style of detail contained in portraits of actual existing people. Therefore, I knew you were the Chicana artist I wanted to further research and present to my classmates. While developing my research, I noticed your artwork focuses in representing the cultures of colored people.

I was captivated in how you focus to draw individuals such as the legend Fernando Valenzuela one of Dodgers legends, Mexican singer Pedro Fernandez as a child, Walter Mercado, and Esai Morales from the popular film La Bamba. It was also nice to see how you tend to include well know singers such as Amy Winehouse and Eazy- E, who also represent other cultures, but can be related to the Latino community at some point. The reason these images spoke to me was because while I was viewing your artwork, it brought back memories of when I was a child growing up in a household, where Fernando Valenzuela’s Dodgers history was constantly repeated, as well as with Pedro Fernandez popular song “Yo no fui”, Walter Mercado’s traditional saying “mucho, mucho amor”, and one of my favorite films of all times La Bamba. It made me think of the old good times my family and I would have when we were very close to each other, and would spend time with one another.

Moreover, I was fascinated by your artwork that represents the ideal Latina women with a little hood in them. It is appreciated to see a Chicana artist like you, who tend to represent cholas with tattoos, which gives cholas acceptance and representation through art. Lastly, the last drawings of the naked ladies you posted on your blog, May 23, 2014 are a great representation of the ideal woman with curves. The images show manage to represent the bodies of women who are happy and feel comfortable with their bodies. It is great to see that you focus in representing thick women though your artwork, as also a form of acceptance and beauty through art. Thus, you are a true Chicana artist who represents other Chicana’s and people of color as a whole community, who can relate to each other through your artwork. Thank you for what you do.

Sincerely,
Escobar Vanessa





No comments:

Post a Comment