Saturday, November 29, 2014

Loteria- Primera Tabla Carmen Garza


In the painting Loteria- Primera Tabla caught my eye. This painting was quite interesting to me since Garza’s mother would paint Loteria cards when she was a little girl. I feel as if her mother was a introductory factor for Garza to get into art. This painting makes me think of her tying in her mothers influence to her own artwork. I really like this piece due to the colors she used which were a light pastel assortment. She uses typical Loteria characters but has made the concept her own. She does this by mixing pre Columbian and colonial worlds. For example a drawing of a talkative man has the words pico largo under indicating that he has a large mouth. I also found it interesting that for the rose block she used the word Rosita instead of just Rosa. Rosita means small rose so she gave this block a pet name in a way. This piece was really beautiful to me I loved how she recreated this traditional game to her own vision. I love how Garza loves to recreate pieces later on in the book she recreates some if her own pieces to make them easier for the public to obtain which I felt was really amazing of her to want people to be able to afford her art.

No comments:

Post a Comment