Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week 7: Letter to Mabel Alvarez


Dear Mabel Alvarez,

            I was completely amazed by your artwork while I was researching you this week for my upcoming presentation on you for my Chicana art and artist class. Your selection of color in your oil painting and technique is quite breathtaking and beautiful. Your very first work to get recognition was your self-portrait done in 1923 with charcoal. How did you feel having about having your charcoal drawing on the cover of the recently opened school for illustration and painting brochures? It must have been a great honor to have your drawing on the over at such a young age.
            For your second painting that I really enjoyed looking at was the morning of 1953. This beautiful oil painting that depicts a women seated on the bed with her head ever so gently resting upon her hand is perfection. I like how you show a quite passion radiating from the image and the subject, but I could also definitely see you holding back on the development of this erotic quality to it.  Correcting me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe you ever married during your life. You came really close once, but it never happened. I only ask this question because the morning painting shows a certain level of attraction to the subject and I wonder if the reason why you never married a man was because you were in love with Arabella? A relationship that could never really happen in the time you meet her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment