Saturday, November 15, 2014

Reflection on Kaelyn Rodriguez's Stencil

I've been struck by Kaelyn's choice of stencil since the beginning of the quarter due to its effervescence and universal relatability. In order to become a more understanding and accountable community and society as a whole I think its important to access our masculine and feminine sides when taking into consideration the thoughts and feeling of others. Each of us has in our power the ability to tap into our opposite gender's concerns as an individual through empathy and compassion by understanding their strengths and assets. With reference to the vagina, as a gay male I can still find what this sacred organ symbolizes useful in my own life. "I think it is also a strong image that refers to feminine power and anatomy—the power within." Women are able to draw on a keen awareness and intuitive nature that any man would benefit from tapping into in themselves. Kaelyn's accompanying symbol also had resonance because of its dual-natured agility and tranquility. "To me, this hummingbird represents resilience and focus. In some cultures, hummingbirds are and have been associated with warriors and protectors This bird stencil reminds me that making art can be challenging as we dig deep to develop work that is meaningful and purpose-driven." I relate so much to this sentiment about art because of its commentary on the proliferation of profound art as opposed to the regurgitation of trite ideas. The hummingbird and the vaginas are two such vivacious entities and their effervescence will continue to inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment