Saturday, November 15, 2014

Week 6: Response to Aces Lira's Post on Dia de los Muertos @Hollywood Forever

This post out of many struck a chord with me because I've also noticed how Dia del los Muertos is being commercialized. A recent example is the new film The Book of Life that features skeletal characters and Day of the Dead designs. As you can see in the picture below, elements of the Dia de los Muertos tradition are being used to make profit and its meaning is being washed down. I plan to see the film soon so I can find out how corporate America has used Dia de los Muertos for their benefit.

For the most part, I chose not to attend the Hollywood Forever event in favor of attending the event at SPARC, which I'm glad I did. In contrast, SPARC had a ceremony before the altars most of the people at the ceremony put together were seen. Everyone there had a personal connection to the ceremony. No one was wearing a halloween costume or making comments about being "ethnic". The purpose of the ceremony was to remember and celebrate those who passed away not for entertainment. I felt at home amongst the altars and never questioned the purpose of the gathering. Thus, I find it disheartening that Aces went to an event that was offensive because Dia de los Muertos should be a time to celebrate and reflect. I would add that the location plays a factor into how the tradition was treated. SPARC is admittedly a space for people of color (see picture below) that understands the traditions of Dia de los Muertos, as opposed to Hollywood Forever where people were charged to participate in a washed down version of the tradition.

Overall, Aces emphasizes how terrible it is that Dia de los Muertos is being commercialized. I agree with him that the event he attended sends a message that corporate white America only wants our traditions and practices but not our people. The new film The Book Life reinforces this statement. Unfortunately, the struggle to survive culturally continues and Dia de los Muertos is only a small part of this struggle.



No comments:

Post a Comment