Sunday, November 16, 2014

Response to Camille Rose Garcia post by Maria Delgado

I was excited to see that I was not the only Disney fanatic in the classroom! Reading over Maria’s post, she shared the same enthusiasm over artist Rose Camille Garcia.  As I had previously stated I am a fan of Disney and I tended to reflect that in the stencil that I choose for my sketchbook.  Also, it was interesting to me that Maria knew the original twisted fairytales that Disney changes in order for it to be appealing to a younger audience.  I was completely unaware of these fairytales until our classmate presented on artist Camille Garcia.  I was pretty excited to learn these original stories because I only knew the one concerning princess Ariel.  Maria explains the tale of Snow White and I did not ever know the tale, even though I spend a fair amount of time at Disneyland! Even though Maria admires Garcia’s critique on Disney, I fail to agree.  Maybe I am blindsided by the stories Disney tries to sell but I view Disney nurturing of people’s childhood.  Although it is unfair to not present the original story, Disney attempts to protect the image of innocence and childhood.  It something that enthralls me and I admire Garcia’s artwork.  I would just have a difficult time showing these images to a younger audience and having to explain the atrocities behind these fairy tales.  

No comments:

Post a Comment