Tuesday, November 25, 2014

W7: Letter to Cristy C. Roads

Dear Cristy,

You're work really resonates with me and I'm honored that I've been able to present you're work to my classroom. The challenges we face as queer brown bodies in the US might not be the same story but I can definitely see my experiences be mirrored in your artwork. I had the toughest challenge alone in which art pieces to present since I was limited to only presenting three of them. I presented a spectrum to give a piece from your zine work, from your latest tarot card deck project, and a bold illustration.

I admire the perspective you provide to the realms of art with your punk, queer, feminist influences.
I'm able to look at most pieces if not all and read into a stronger message that challenges the norms. From exploring sexuality, revisiting stories of our marginalized youth, and being comfortable with our own identities regardless of societies' rejection. The aggressive style and the grimy feel in your illustrations inspire me. With messages in blood to queer couples in the act of sex, you move beyond the socially acceptable forms of fine art and redefined them to queer punk standards.

Outside the context of message, you're technique in using such accessible materials is really crucial in the inspiration of the art. Scrolling through your website seeing that a lot of the images are made with ink and sharpie motivate me in a direction to illustrate my own life experiences. The solid colors, and the palettes you utilize provide and earthy feel to your art and the punk aesthetics resonate in my hood experiences.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your completed tarot card deck.

Thank You,
Aces

No comments:

Post a Comment