Saturday, November 15, 2014

Week 6 Response: On Judithe Hernandez

This week the artist whose work most resonated with me was Judithe Hernandez specifically her work on the subject of the Luchadoras, or female wrestlers. I had the opportunity to experience her work when the Fowler was exhibiting it for their Saints and Sinners show. I really appreciate the themes that the the Luchadora series made me think about, especially within the context of the show.

The first thing that I experienced with this work was the color choices. I appreciate her choice in painting the subjects skin in a completely different and experimental manner, opting for a muted blue, as opposed to brown skin. What I think this does it moves the work from being representational, to presenting it as being more propagandist. As to say this painting is relatable because it uses cultural symbols as a point of access as opposed to a racialized one. In essence the blue skin makes it more symbolic.

Additionally the composition of the work recalls images of crucifixion and by extension Christ and Christianity, ultimately things that most Chicana/os can relate with. So i believe this work really does communicate a positive message of feminism and strength in a responsible way.

Also the work centers on a female figure with a mask and to me the mask signifies an ambiguity. As this could be any woman. I believe that to be a very powerful symbol to use because it opens the possibility of the subject even being a trans women. Feminism usually abandons trans women, and because of this figures ambiguity I believe it even extends the message to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment