Saturday, November 15, 2014

Better late than never? (Week 1 - Week 3 Posts)

Hi, this is Daniela Salazar and I hope that you can excuse my late introduction! At the start of the quarter, I was stuck at home with acute bronchitis. I am no longer contagious and I can finally breathe – at least until round two of midterms :P I hope that my ‘catching up’ can act as your ‘review.’  Anyway, I am a fifth year studying Applied Mathematics and considering the Chicano/a minor (depending on 101 availability in the Spring). I’ve always wanted to be a professor, but, lately, I’ve been seriously considering middle or high school teaching. It’s been four years, now, but it still bums me out that I don’t see too many Latinos or African Americans – almost no women – in class. I was lucky enough to attend a great high school and I want to pay it forward. There’s always that one, just trying to make it out of the hood, but you can only get so far with the LA school district. There are tons of great teachers, but there are so many that just don’t care.


My family is from Sinaloa, MX, but I was raised in Palm Springs, CA, and both of my parents are now remarried. I have one sister, three brothers, three step-brothers, and a half-brother & half-sister in Mexico. Needless to say, commotion and chaos can be somewhat calming for me. (I’m all about studying with music blasting through my speakers).

In “Out of the House, the Halo, and the Whore’s Mask…” Gaspar de Alba explores the presence of gender politics in Chicano/a art and the perpetuation of the “madre/virgen/puta” stereotypes. By advocating heterosexuality, thus, denouncing homosexuality, patriarchal interests are safeguarded through social oppression. Feminists and lesbians are labeled ‘agringadas’ and further ostracized from a primarily-machista community. The phrase “if you can’t beat them, join them” comes to mind: most turned the cheek to social oppression, pressured, instead, to focus on the fight against racial oppression. In turn, the female body was restricted for the male body and reserved for reproduction: objectification, by definition. The female body is often subjected to a rigid dichotomy between good and bad – whereas, la madre and la virgin evoke positive connotations, for example, la puta does not. Chicana artists aim to redefine female sexuality and recreate the female body. Gaspar de Alba shows that Chicana female artists were outnumbered by Chicano male artists; curiously enough, even in the arts—not just in math, science, technology, finance, and so on—males are dominant. In a study (can’t recall which one), men and women were asked to imagine a truck filled, half-way to the top, with water. Then, they were asked to draw a line – showing how the water would sit/look – as the truck was driving uphill. The men had no problem, whereas it was difficult for the women to grasp the idea. The study explains why men are more likely to succeed in physics, but less likely to excel in the arts – biologically, the sexes are wired to operate on opposite sides of the brain.  It makes me wonder if some men dominated in the arts, naturally, or if it was just a head start.
Best example I could find

“There’s No Place Like Aztlan: Embodied Aesthetics in Chicana Art” begins with an allusion to Dorothy in Oz, in order to relate gender and identity to Aztlan. Gender and social oppression is ranked lower than racial oppression, in importance and need for focus, and often disregarded completely by some Chicanos. By taking pride in Aztlan, the utopian motherland, and remaining loyal to the cause, some Chicanas embrace machismo, defend chingon politics, and perpetuate internal racism. Manifested by the male ego, although symbolic in nature, at the root of Aztlan is machismo. Chicana artists, then, must go beyond the physical and reclaim the female identity through a different medium, that is, art. Considering how restricted and limited women are, everything about Chicana artists is liberating.

I think that I was desensitized to the image of La Virgen de Guadalupe; growing up, it was like the easiest game of ‘Where’s Waldo’ at my tia’s house. If you looked really hard, you could find her on every single wall. Of course, I understand the religious significance. My favorite cousin was named after Guadalupe and I even wore her on a necklace, but I never became attached to La Virgen – at least, not in a religious sense. We were raised Catholic, at first, but my dad was absurdly jealous; once he made up a reason to believe that my mom had a Sancho at our church, she wasn’t allowed to go there anymore. My mom probably looked to the church for strength and hope, which I think she found in the community. Our neighbors were Jehovah’s Witnesses and it wasn’t long before they welcomed our family into their church. I was a kid with no choice, so I attended service with my mom—though, only for a few months, before my dad became jealous again. Once my mom remarried, four years later, we attended a Christian church. Throughout my childhood, religion seemed to be much more philosophical and subjective, rather than absolute. (To be fair, I’ve always been fascinated by science --- if you have three minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytaf30wuLbQ ). I was surprised to learn that Lopez’s work was considered disrespectful, as an objectification of la Virgen; in the same respect, I thought, shouldn’t all those candles be more controversial? Again: objectification, by definition. That’s why I really admired Lopez’s work – she was thinking ahead of her generation and those that came before.

For the stencil, I was inspired by these two images. I learned at a young age that education is a form of power and it works in favor of an oppressed youth: por eso, me dueles Mexico. No hay justicia en mi patria, there is no justice in my country for students. I was also inspired by the thought of Michael Brown; this photo, in particular, is one of my favorites. Racism is alive and well, but so are our communities – I think, for the better.


Again, if you have time, here’s a short poem: http://allpoetry.com/First-They-Came-For-The-Communists





I considered sketching a figure, with earphones on and making the peace sign – peace through music. I am a music junky; lately, I’ve been in my rock and roll phase. I went with “cuernos” or “horns," instead of the peace sign. Some things happen and they are out of our control; but, we can control how we perceive the world around us, how we act and react, and, more importantly, how we treat those around us. People find reasons to hate, but it is what it is; at least, for me, music helps me tune the bad vibes out. 


My favorite shirt 

More pictures and the second part of this post to come! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment