Saturday, November 15, 2014

Week 6 response to post: Gian Campos-Chicanx Art

Reading my friend Gian's post discussing perception of modern Chicanx art really resonated with me for several reasons. First off, I agree that there are very stratified limits in what Chicanx art can be and what it's supposed to convey. Granted I appreciate and admire murals and homages to la virgen as well, but I do agree that there needs to be an expansion in the perception of what our art can be. Something else I was able to relate to was how everything we do is supposed to have the inherent purpose of being political and revolutionary. It's something I've rejected in the formation of my identity because I don't want my experiences and values to be tokenized. Our creativity is never encouraged, and I admire and encourage Gian's artwork and presence in the art world because it's beautiful and important.

No comments:

Post a Comment