Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week 7: Dear Laura Aguilar

Dear Laura Aguilar, 

Your work is radical. It is art that is unique, wild, calming and inspiring. I love contemporary modern art and I have never quite seen work as vulnerable and empowering as yours. The body and woman body is a fragile topic, constantly critiqued, objectified, labeled and controlled. I can see that in the images of yourself, nude, and placed delicately and comfortably within nature is a challenge to this boxing and confining of the female body. Woman face the pressure of idealized woman figures every single day, it is all around us. Self hate and body image issues are serious and it amazing to see how you cope with it and even fight back. You say, my body is beautiful, my body is mine. The way in which you do so within nature, and its wild abandon translates so well into the natural state of your human body. What you are doing is powerful, and does make a huge impact on girls and woman who experience the immense serenity of your photographs. This can also impact men who are just as internalized to perpetuate oppressive views of woman. 

So I guess I am saying thank you. Thank you for going on a journey to find love for yourself and for sharing that extremely intimate process. It does make a difference. It does influence people like me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment