Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week 7 Letter to Patricia Marroquin

Dear Patricia Marroquin,

I had the honor of presenting your artwork in my Chicana Art Class at UCLA.  Unfortunately it was extremely difficult to find information regarding your artwork.  I searched in the Chicano studies library at UCLA, the databases, linked in and facebook. I actually emailed the wrong Patricia Marroquin, which was quite interesting since I asked her if she could elaborate on how she was able to paint on the leaves although it was your artwork. With the little information I could find on the latinoartcommunity.org page I was truly fascinated with your work. My passion for the medical field and your passion for your grandmother’s medicinal practices allowed me to appreciate your artwork from my own Latina background and medical perspective.


I have several questions regarding your artwork on the leaves that I was unable to find through my own research. I was wondering if you sketched or painted the drawings onto the leaves? If you did paint the leaves what type of paint did you use? Additionally, did you experience difficulty while painting or drawing on the natural leaves in terms of the leaves breaking during the drawing process? I imagine it must have been challenging and taken lots of patience drawing on such a small space especially using natural leaves. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future and if you have any upcoming events or showcases I would be more than willing to attend if provided with the information.

Best,

Darlene Vera

No comments:

Post a Comment