Sunday, November 30, 2014

Week 7: Letter to Delilah Montoya

Hey Delilah,

First off I wanted to say that I have fallen in love with your work of art. The first thing I truly appreciate are the black and white photography aesthetic in many of your pieces. As someones that likes to create art as well, I often find myself driven to do black and white pieces as well as they represent a sort of raw simplicity which also has a lot of richness to it.

I especially find your Women Boxer pieces to be quite magnificent as it represents women in a light that they may not often be portrayed in. The pictures capture a lot of women of color in a fighting ring or getting ready to compete and I just love how bad ass they look. I really like watching their facial expressions as they often look extremely focused, angry or really relaxed. I find this great as women's bodies are often photographed to show sexuality, softness and innocence. In this series however, women's muscles, grinning teeth and even sweat are captured which are things that often only men are associated with.Which is pretty ridiculous...

I also have a strong appreciation for the graphic art look given to many of your images as it makes them really unique while connecting to a lot of Chicano symbolism like in Glass Jar, La Llorona,Virgen imagery and El Sagrado Corazon.

As an inspiring artist myself,  a question I will have for you is where do you get inspiration and ideas for your art? I know much must be directed from being a Chicana but what specific events, experiences, or things strike upon an idea for you and tell you that is something meant to be
captured?

1 comment:

  1. I also like boxing and I really like the pictures that show hard hits or strong action. I think that being a photographer has a lot of responsibility,along with interpretations. After all " a picture is worth a thousand words" well when it comes to boxing or sports this quote definitely falls short.

    ReplyDelete