Sunday, November 30, 2014

Week 8: Carmen Lomas Garza

Carmen Lomas Garza is an amazing artist that has inspired me to touch on various themes of family, tradition and celebration in my art. She is known for art that celebrates and commemorates every day activities and traditions within our Chicano culture which can be seen in various of her pieces that capture quincianeras, family fiestas, comida, dance, and many past times that honor La Familia. I find myself to be attracted to the simplicity of the characters depicted in her art but also the extreme detail she places in her pieces as most capture a variety of happenings in one image.
One image I specifically enjoy is La Feria en Reynosa. I chose this image because it reminded me of some of the Ferias and traditional festivities that happen in Mexico. When I was in sixth grade and I made a trip to Michoacan I went to a lot of fairs,  traditional Kermes, and pueblo celebrations. This image reminded me of that as there was often a lot of food, movement and lots of energy from busy and excited people. I really like how there are parents, couples, abuelitas, children while sodas are being sipped on, tamale are being eaten and cool items are being sold in different puestos. The events are captured to every detail. Just like many of her pieces, this art takes me back to my roots and connects me to my Chicana experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment