Saturday, November 29, 2014

week eight, pachuca with razor blade


My time spent in my family home this past couple of days proved to induce more nostalgia than anticipated. Nostalgia is the feeling I get when I look at this image. I was present at a Mike Brown protest on Tuesday night in downtown Los Angeles and I ran into the girls I navigated high school with. The days going into nights spent in either one of our bedrooms anticipating the night ahead were very formative, and instilled a further love for the late night in my heart. The three of us are Chicanas, and each one of us have different experiences. But there is something undoubtedly familiar about this image. The process of getting ready to go out and be seen is something very intimate and personal. Flourishing in one's own aesthetic and encouraging your friends to flourish in their own is an experience that comes with growing up into ourselves, and this image depicting the process is something I think is relatable for many people. Running into them and being reminded of that time also reminded me of this image, and although we weren't pachucas with razorblades, this is still an image that carries a lot of sentimental value. 


No comments:

Post a Comment