Monday, December 8, 2014

Dear Margaret Garcia

Hello, Margaret. I hope this letter finds you well! I had the great pleasure of researching you for my presentation on a Chicana artist. As I was doing research on you and your art, I noticed a reoccurring theme in you work: motherhood. What about motherhood interests you so much? Do you view motherhood as an extension of womanhood?

One of my favorite works of yours is the painting of La Virgen outside sleeping next to a river and a beautiful landscape. Part of the reason that I am so fascinated by this image is that it places La Virgen in a setting I've never seen her in before: outside. She is always in her fixed position, mounted on a pedestal held up by an angel, praying. To get to see her outside relaxing taking a nap is refreshing because she isn't worried about anyone else but herself. Is she pregnant in this image? Expecting her son, Jesus? I read it as if she is pregnant which I think opens up a lot more conversation because it is a pregnant mother who is tired and maybe a little scared. 

What I also like about you paintings is that these mothers are in vulnerable positions, yet they are not weak. You allow them to be vulnerable because their jobs are difficult and they need to take a nice nap once in a while, not because they are lazy and can't handle being mothers. What is your take on vulnerability not equating to weakness? Are you a fan of the strong mother because of the influence your grandmother and mother had on your life?

Best,
Estefania

No comments:

Post a Comment